V. Susanne CookDirector
Susanne is a Senior Partner and chairs the firm’s International Business Group. She is a business attorney focusing her practice on counseling companies on international and domestic business transactions, joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, customs, export and licensing matters. She is also listed in The Best Lawyers in America for International Trade and Finance and in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers.
Areas of Concentration
Susanne’s areas of concentration include:
- Direct Foreign Investments
- Domestic and International Mergers & Acquisitions
- Domestic and International Joint Ventures
- Sales Representation, Distribution and Technology Licensing Agreements
- Domestic and International Terms and Conditions of Sale
- Customs and Export Compliance Issues (EAR and ITAR)
- Country focus: Germany, Austria, Europe, China, Canada and Mexico
- Negotiated and structured international and domestic acquisitions and joint ventures in the United States and abroad, including China, Europe, Korea, Brazil and Mexico, focusing on safeguarding intellectual capital.
- Structured international and domestic product distribution and licensing systems that take into account the limitations imposed by local culture and law, while attending to the business needs of the client.
- Routinely represents clients on how to structure their export and import operations.
- Routinely represents German and other foreign companies on how to structure their U.S. operations.
- Frequently participates in public speaking opportunities and seminars that focus on international business transactions, export control (EAR and ITAR) and customs. For example, Susanne participated as a speaker in an internationally attended seminar sponsored by the University of Pittsburgh School of Law and the Center for International Legal Education concerning the UN Convention for the International Sale of Goods.
Professional Organizations and Community Involvement
- Board Member of Western Pennsylvania District Export Council; Assists the U.S. Commercial Service in promoting export throughout the Western Pennsylvania Region.
- Board Member of University of Pittsburgh School of Law Center for International Legal Education; Assists the School of Law in the development and implementation of course offerings and related programs that focus on international, public and private law.
Fluent in German (native speaker)